The Pack Includes
• Detailed Itinerary
• GPS Track of your trail
• Nights' accommodation in the huts
• Tourist map of the mountain (per post)
• Hut Contacts
• E-mail assistance
• Phone assistance
• Time tables of local public transport
• Local taxi companies contacts
The Pack Does Not Include
• Travel to and from Bulgaria
• Organised luggage transport from hut to hut
• Personal expenses
• Tour guide – this is a self guided trip
• Local transfers
• Travel insurance
Days 3 Distance 42 km Ascent 1792 m Descent 1184 m
This extraordinary walk in the heart of the Central Balkan National Park is dedicated to the astonishing Steneto Nature Reserve. It is one of the nine nature reserves in the boundaries of the park and arguably the most beautiful. At the same time, not many people know about it. It looks like as if it is a well-kept secret. Being inaccessible from almost all direction but one, Steneto is a refuge of many rare animals and plants. The background of this real wilderness is a deep canyon with 200 m high rock walls. They are studded with caves and rock phenomena while at the abyss bottom the river Cherni Osam sparkles and form beautiful waterfalls. As the only entrance of the path through this paradise is from the hut Dermenka, you need to spend one more night and to go backward and forward by the reserve.
Day 1: Walk from the Karnare village to the hut Dermenka. The path is going up gently to the main crest of the mountain. From this point to the hut, the terrain is mild and grassy, without any substantial ascending and descending.
Day 2: Walk from the Dermenka hut along the path through the Steneto Reserve. It sets off with a long drop along the steep slope for 1hour and 30mins through an ancient beech forest. When the path reaches the place where Suhata River and Kumanitsa River joint to form the river Cherni Osam, it calms down into a flat walk along the Canyon of Cherni Osam River to the area Kiselitsata (960m). Here the path ends and a road, which is leading to the Village of Cherni Osam, starts. At that point you should turn back on the same way to Dermenka Hut (1520m).
Day 3: Walk from the hut Dermenka to the Sopot village by the hut Dobrila. It is a pleasant forest walk along the main crest of the mountain. All the way to the hut Dobrila provides a good panorama to the Ambaritsa peak Dobrila hut is a nice spot for a rest before the drop to the town of Sopot.
- Difficulty: As a whole the trail is a pleasant walk but it involves some steep parts in the reserve Steneto that are challenging and require good shape.
Accommodation: Accommodation: The huts are cosy and well-maintained. During the high season they are not the most frequently visited, but still it is recommended to book the beds in advance.
- To the starting point:The village of the Karnare is connected by buses and trains with the town of Karlovo. Karlovo itself is served by buses and trains from the capital city Sofia.
- From the finishing point: The town of Sopot lies on the same train and bus lines that connect Sofia with the town of Karlovo.
- Security: The trail is totally secure. All parts of the trail are marked. The area is served by the mountain rescue teams.
Book your Trip Here
*Self Guided Tour
A note on our self guided adventures