The Pack Includes
• Detailed Itinerary
• GPS Track of your trail
• Nights' accommodation in the huts
• Tourist map of the mountain (per post)
• Hut Contacts
• E-mail assistance
• Phone assistance
• Time tables of local public transport
• Local taxi companies contacts
The Pack Does Not Include
• Travel to and from Bulgaria
• Organised luggage transport from hut to hut
• Personal expenses
• Tour guide – this is a self guided trip
• Local transfers
• Travel insurance
Days 4 Distance 63 km Ascent 4030 m Descent 4030 m
This amazing walk in the western part of the Central Balkan National Park explores the area of the Tsarichina Nature Reserve and around it. Within the boundaries of the park are designated nine nature reserves that are rich in flora and fauna. That is why the trail offers real wilderness in combination with cosy touristic huts. The landscape is varied. It comprises ancient beech and coniferous forests where the average age of the trees is around 150 years, high-mountain meadows and narrow rocky strips along the main mountain crest. At one stage of the walk, the most spectacular one, you will follow the main ridge of the Stara Planina. It is part of the E3 European long-distance walking route.
Day 1: Walk from the Ribaritsa village to the hut Vezhen. The path is going gently along the course of the river Kostina. Next section of the path starts to climb up steeply though a beech forest to reach the hut Benkovski which can be used as a place for rest. The last part is along a dirt road that connects the hut Benkovski with the hut Vezhen.
Day 2: Walk from the Vezhen hut to the hut Eho. This walk is one of the most amazing walks in the Central Balkan National Park. It is along the main crest of the Mountains and traverses the peak of Vezhen. The panoramas from it are impressive.
Day 3: Walk from the hut Eho to the Vassilyov hut. In this day we offer you an interesting option that is along the ridge that links the Stara Planina Mountains with the smaller Mountain Vassilyov. The views from it towards the Balkan are stunning.
Day 4: Walk from the hut Vassilyov to the village of Ribaritsa. Going down along the Debeli Dyal ridge all day long you will have the possibility to watch the string of peaks of the Balkan spread out in front of you as a fan.
- Difficulty: As a whole the trail is a pleasant walk but it involves some steep parts that are challenging and require good shape.
- Accommodation: The huts are cosy and well-maintained. In the last years their hut-keepers have put a lot of efforts to improve the conditions and to serve better to the tourists. During the high season they are frequently visited, so there is a need to book the beds in advance.
- To/from the starting/finishing point: There are mini-buses that go twice a day from the town of Teteven to the village of Ribaritsa. Teteven itself is served by a regular bus line that connects it with the capital Sofia.
- Security: The trail is totally secure. All parts of the trail are well marked. The area is served by the mountain rescue teams.
Book your Trip Here
*Self Guided Tour
A note on our self guided adventures