The Pack Includes
• Detailed Itinerary
• GPS Track of your trail
• Nights' accommodation in the huts
• Tourist map of the mountain (per post)
• Hut Contacts
• E-mail assistance
• Phone assistance
• Time tables of local public transport
• Local taxi companies contacts
The Pack Does Not Include
• Travel to and from Bulgaria
• Organised luggage transport from hut to hut
• Personal expenses
• Tour guide – this is a self guided trip
• Local transfers
• Travel insurance
Along the Main Ridge
Days 5 Distance 58 km Ascent 3925 m Descent 4677 m
The Pirin Mountains has a distinct main ridge, which runs northwest to southeast. It comprises numerous peaks over 2000 m. The area has a wild character and definitely rugged alpine outlook. This five-day trail follows the main crest where possible. It starts from the area close to the Razlog and Bansko towns (Betolovoto) and gradually goes up to the most famous narrow-ridge in Bulgaria-Koncheto ridge and the highest peak of the Mountains- Vihren. The next part from the hut Vihren to the hut Tevno Lake is arguably the most beautiful in the whole Mountains due to the numerous lakes that lie down at the bottom of the rocky cirques. The last part offers the unique walk around the sandstone pyramids of Melnik.
Day 1: Walk from the area of Betolovoto to the hut Yavorov. It is a short two-hour walk and can be combined with the transfer from Sofia.
Day 2: Walk from the Yavorov hut to the hut Vihren. This part is the most imposing and unforgettable section of the whole trail. You will traverse the most famous ridge-walk in Bulgaria-the Koncheto, a narrow marble ridge that is supported by metal ropes. Once on the saddle after the Koncheto, you will have the choice to climb up the peak of Vihren-the highest peak in the Pirin or just to continue down after admiring the mighty Vihren.
Day 3: Walk from the hut Vihren to the Tevno Lake. After crossing the area of the Banderishki Lakes, the path goes up again along the main ridge from where you will have the possibility to watch from the height the rocky cirques and their lakes, which are the feature that the Mountains are famous for. You will have the great opportunity to camp around the Tevno Lake in the small hut that offers food and shelter.
Day 4:Walk from the Tevnoto Lake hut to the hut Pirin.
Day 5: Walk from the hut Pirin to the small town of Melnik. Going down you will zigzag trough the gully of sandstone pyramids next to the Melnik town.
- Difficulty: It is a trail for advanced hikers. The length of the walk requires good shape and excellent head for heights. Nevertheless, the perfect panoramas make the walk pleasant and the time goes unnoticed.
- Accommodation: The huts are well-maintained; the hut-keepers offer food and beverages. The huts are frequently visited, so you need to book the beds in advance. The Spano pole is a favourite to all tourists due to its welcoming hosts.
- To the starting point: There are 10 km asphalt road that leads to the area of Betolovoto. You can use a taxi from the town of Razlog or Bansko.
- From the finishing point: There are buses that connect the town of Melnik with the city of Sofia.
- Security: The trail is totally secure. All parts of the trail are marked. The area is served by the mountain rescue teams.
Book your Trip Here
*Self Guided Tour
A note on our self guided adventures