The Pack Includes
• Detailed Itinerary
• GPS Track of your trail
• Nights' accommodation in the huts
• Tourist map of the mountain (per post)
• Hut Contacts
• E-mail assistance
• Phone assistance
• Time tables of local public transport
• Local taxi companies contacts
The Pack Does Not Include
• Travel to and from Bulgaria
• Organised luggage transport from hut to hut
• Personal expenses
• Tour guide – this is a self guided trip
• Local transfers
• Travel insurance
The best of rila and pirin
Days 9 Distance 15 km/day (135btotal) Ascent 950 m/day Descent 1050 m/day
This multi-day trail leads you into the most beautiful and awe-inspiring mountains in Bulgaria: the Rila Mountains and the Pirin Mountains. These neighbouring mountains are connected by the saddle of Predela that makes possible their tour on foot. Thus, in nine days you will immerse into the wild and preserved nature of those high lands. The landscape of the walk is an amazing combination between splendid ancient forests, deep valleys, terraced cirques with many shimmering lakes and rugged peaks. Most of this trail is part of the E4 trans-European long-distance walking path.
Day 1: Walk from the resort of Panichishte to hut Vazov through the area of the famous Seven Rila Lakes.
Day 2: Walk from the hut Vazov to the Rila Monastery. Settled deep into the heart of the mountain, the Monastery is the most prominent Bulgarian historical site.
Day 3: Walk from the Rila Monastery to the hut Macedonia.
Day 4: Walk from the Macedonia hut to the Predela hut.
Day 5: Walk from Predela hut to the Yavorov hut.
Day 6: Walk from the Yavorov hut to the Vihren hut. This part is the most imposing and unforgettable section of the whole trail. It is a hike along the main crest of the Pirin Mountain. You will traverse the most famous ridge-walk in Bulgaria-the Koncheto, a narrow marble ridge that is supported by metal ropes. Once on the saddle after the Koncheto, you will have the choice to climb up the peak of Vihren-the highest peak in the Pirin or just to continue down after admiring of the mighty Vihren.
Day 7: Walk from the Vihren hut to the Tevnoto Ezero hut. Following the main crest of the mountain, you will have stunning views towards the deep cirques containing lakes with cold emerald green water.
Day 8: Walk from the Tevnoto lake hut to the hut Pirin.
Day 9: Walk from the hut Pirin to the small town of Melnik. Going down you will zigzag trough the gully of sandstone pyramids next to the Melnik town.
- Difficulty: Difficulty: It is a trail for advanced hikers. The length of the walk requires good shape and excellent head for heights. Nevertheless, the perfect panoramas make the walk pleasant and the time goes unnoticed.
- Accommodation: The huts are well-maintained, offer food and beverages. They are ones of the most visited, so you need to book the beds in advance.
- To the starting point: There is no public transport to the resort of Panichishte. You can use a taxi from Sapareva Banya, the village that is served by a bus line from Doupnitsa town that is connected with Sofia by buses and trains.
- From the finishing point:There are buses that connect the town of Melnik with the city of Sofia.
- Security: The trail is totally secure. The most part of the trail is along well marked paths. Before the Predela hut there is a section of the path that is not well marked and could be lost in bad weather. That’s why we recommend using a navigation application on the mobile phone or a real GPS device. The area is served by the mountain rescue teams.
Book your trip here
*Self Guided Tour
A note on our self guided adventures