The Pack Includes
• Detailed Itinerary
• GPS Track of your trail
• Nights' accommodation in the huts
• Tourist map of the mountain (per post)
• Hut Contacts
• E-mail assistance
• Phone assistance
• Time tables of local public transport
• Local taxi companies contacts
The Pack Does Not Include
• Travel to and from Bulgaria
• Organised luggage transport from hut to hut
• Personal expenses
• Tour guide – this is a self guided trip
• Local transfers
• Travel insurance
Peeshti Skali and Sokolna Reserves
Days 3 Distance 40 km Ascent 3091 m Descent 3279 m
This trail examines the eastern part of the Balkan National Park. It has a lot to offer to the nature-lovers as it encompasses some of the most spectacular and craggy landscape of the whole park. In addition it goes through two natural reserves- the Peeshtite Skali (Singing Rocks) and Sokolna. They are two of the nine nature reserves in the boundaries of the park, designated to preserve unique plant and animal species in Bulgaria. These reserves are very intriguing with their strange rocky outcrops that are full of wildlife. The trail also includes part of the E3, the international long-distance walking route.
Day 1: Walk from the Apriltsi town to the hut Tazha. The path starts off from Ostrets, a neighbourhood of the town of Apriltsi. It climbs up the beautiful rocky peak of Rusalka. The attraction of the path is on the views towards the vertical northern slopes below Botev Peak and the main spine of the Balkan. The rest is a pleasant descend to the hut Tazha.
Day 2: Walk from the hut Tazha to the hut Mazalat. This section of the trail follows the main ridge of the mountain. The first part is a pleasant walk through grassy meadows, while the second part leads trough the Peeshtite Skali Reserve. They are a complex of not so high cliffs with sheer vertical southern flanks above the deep valley of the river Gabrovnitsa. On them are perched many rocky outcrops with different shapes that tourists like to compare with animal or human figures. Next comes a rocky wreath of several pyramidal peaks just before the beautiful glade in front of the hut Mazalat. North of the shelter is situates the Severen Dzhendem Reserve.
Day 3: Walk from the hut Mazalat to the village of Gabarevo. One fantastic option to walk to the area of the Sokolna reserve is along the side ridge Tankata Ratlina. It offers unforgettable views towards the mighty Triglav massive, a sequence of three summits with height over 2000m. The next part is trough the Sokolna Reserve, which is one of the natural gardens of Bulgaria, a refuge for a lot of rare and endangered plants and animals. The scenery is dramatic: craggy rocks above the gorge of the river Kuru Dere, but the path is steadily cut into them and is a perfect observation platform. Eventually you reach the village of Gabarevo.
- Difficulty: The trail involves some of the most tiresome and prolonged walks in the mountains. Due to this fact, the perfect shape and experience are obligatory.
- Accommodation: The huts are cosy and well-maintained. During the high season they are the most frequently visited, that’s why it is a must to book the beds in advance.
- To the starting point: The town of Apriltsi is connected by buses with the capital city Sofia.
- To the finishing point:The village of Gabarevo is a train station on the train line that connects the capital Sofia with the city of Bourgas, which is located on the Black Sea coast.
- Security: The trail is totally secure. All parts of the trail are marked. The area is served by the mountain rescue teams.
Book your Trip Here
*Self Guided Tour
A note on our self guided adventures