The Pack Includes
• Detailed Itinerary
• GPS Track of your trail
• Nights' accommodation in the huts
• Tourist map of the mountain (per post)
• Hut Contacts
• E-mail assistance
• Phone assistance
• Time tables of local public transport
• Local taxi companies contacts
The Pack Does Not Include
• Travel to and from Bulgaria
• Organised luggage transport from hut to hut
• Personal expenses
• Tour guide – this is a self guided trip
• Local transfers
• Travel insurance
Days 5 Distance 78 km Ascent 4 300 m Descent 4300 m
This representative multi-day walk at the Western Rhodopes examines the most attractive region at the highest part of the mountain. It shows everything that persuades tourists to come back: ancient forests, broad ridges, impressive gorges and caves, beautiful rivers. Part of its charm is that it provides not only tranquil walk among a preserved and pristine nature, but also hospitality of the local people. They are hearty people and prepare delicious food in their guest-houses. The trail traverses ancient roads, authentic villages, chapels and mosques, and old bridges as well.
Day 1: Walk from the Devin town to the hut Orfey though the Kastrakli Reserve. The reserve is designated to protect an ancient forest. The town of Devin is famous with his hot mineral springs and offers itself high quality relaxation.
Day 2: Walk from the hut Orfey to the Yagodina village. It passes through the village of Borino and the eco-path named Devils’s path along the river Chitak dere. The main attraction is the nature formation Dyavolski most (Devil’s bridge) and it is supported by many wooden steps and bridges that made it passable. Along the path could be observed many rocky outcrops, waterfalls and limestone niches habituated by birds. Once in the village Yagodina there are other points of interest as the Yagodina cave and the Orlovo Oko platform - panoramic viewpoint near the peak of Sveti (St.) Ilia.
Day 3: Walk from the village of Yagodina to the Chairski lakes hut. The walk passes by the village of Trigrad close to the cave Dyavolsko Garlo and the Haramiyska cave. After the village it continues through beautiful meadows and pine forests to the area of Chairski Lakes. The area is arguably the most beautiful in the mountains. It is surrounded by a wreath of green hills and during the summer the air is full of scents of grass and herbs.
Day 4: Walk from the hut Chairski Lakes to the hut Lednitsata. This path is a pleasant walk through grassy pastures and forests. In the middle of the walk is the village of Mugla, small mountain settlement, surrounded by high rocky walls of the river Tenes Dere.
Day 5: Walk from the hut Lednitsata to Nastan, a neighbourhood of the town of Devin. The path follows the ridge Mursalitsa which starts from the highest peak of the Rhodopes Mountains- Golyam Perelik (2191m). It is a panoramic and open-air walk which offers fantastic views to the nearby valleys and ridges.
- Difficulty: The biggest part of the trail is a pleasant walk. The most difficult part is along the eco-trail Devil’s path, as some of the wooden steps are very exposed and walking on them requires a lot of attention, but none of them need of special equipment.
- Accomodation: The huts are comparatively remote and far from the tourist crowds, but in the high season they could be visited by the local people. That’s why it is advisable to book a place in them. In the village of Yagodina there are guest-houses and a hotel. On the event of a national holyday it is possible to be fully occupied and the booking of a room is a must.
- To the starting/finishing point: The town of the Devin is connected by buses with the capital city Sofia, Plovdiv and Smolyan.
- Security: The trail is totally secure. All parts of it are marked, but at some sections it is possible to miss. Also it crosses many dirt roads and shepherd’s paths that makes the navigation challenging. It is advisable to use some kind of GPS device.
Book your trip here
*Self Guided Tour
A note on our self guided adventures