The Pack Includes
• Detailed Itinerary
• GPS Track of your trail
• Nights' accommodation in the huts
• Tourist map of the mountain (per post)
• Hut Contacts
• E-mail assistance
• Phone assistance
• Time tables of local public transport
• Local taxi companies contacts
The Pack Does Not Include
• Travel to and from Bulgaria
• Organised luggage transport from hut to hut
• Personal expenses
• Tour guide – this is a self guided trip
• Local transfers
• Travel insurance
Waterfalls and Caves
Days 3 Distance 34 km Ascent 2342 m Descent 2261 m
This three-stage walk at the Western Rhodopes is a collection of three representative one-day walks. Each of them is devoted to different natural phenomena, studded on a small area around the town of Smolyan. They illustrate the variety of the Rhodopes nature as amazing waterfalls along a deep canyon, caves full of life and small springs, scattered on a meadow, that give the start of the biggest Rhodopes’ river-the Arda River. The accommodation is at guest-houses where you can experience the hospitality of the local people. They are hearty people and prepare delicious food for the guests, curious to try Rhodopes’ specialties.
Day 1: Walk from the town of Smolyan to the Canyon of the waterfalls and back. It is a real delight for the waterfall lovers. After a long ascend along the valley of the river Gerzovitsa, the path enter the Soskovcheto nature reserve where the eco-trail Smolyan waterfalls canyon was set up recently. The trail winds up along the river deep in the ravine that once was wild and nobody could penetrate without special equipment. Today with the support of the many wooden steps, bridges and signs, the path gives the tourists the opportunity to see more than 46 waterfalls and strange rock formations. The path is circular and the second part leads you high above the river and provides panoramic views down to the waterfalls and toward the town.
Day 2: Walk from the village of Mogilitsa to the cave Golubovitsa, the cave Uhlovitsa, the cave Nadarska and back to Mogilitsa. The village of Mogilitsa is 23 km far from the town of Smolyan. In the proximity of the village recently is set up a path that passes by the famous caves Golubovitsa, Uhlovitsa and Nadarska. They are not only beautiful and astonishing with their forms but also do they offer a real adventure: the Golubovitsa cave is a water cave and the transition is organised and supported by boats and special equipment, which are provided by local guides.
Day 3: Walk from the village of Gorna Arda to the streams of river Arda and back. The village of Gorna Arda is several kilometers far from the village of Mogilitsa. This circular walk leads you to the start of the river Arda that is the biggest in Rhodopes and pours into the Aegean Sea in the neighboring Greece.
- Difficulty: The biggest part of the trail is a pleasant walk. The most difficult part is along the eco-trail Smolyan waterfalls canyon, as some of the wooden steps are very steep and walking on them requires a lot of attention, but none of them need of special equipment.
- Accomodation: In the town of Smolyan and the village of Mogilitsa there are many guest-houses and hotels. Some of them offer traditional atmosphere, some are modern. On the event of a national holyday it is possible to be fully occupied and the booking of a room is a must.
- To the starting/finishing point: The town of Smolyan is served by buses from the capital city of Sofia and Plovdiv.
- Security: The trail is totally secure. All parts of it are marked, but at some sections it is possible to miss. Also it crosses many dirt roads and shepherd’s paths that makes the navigation challenging. It is advisable to use some kind of GPS device.
Book your trip here
*Self Guided Tour
A note on our self guided adventures